Are you doing the same exercise routine day in and day out? Most likely you’re bored and not getting the results you hoped for. Guess what? Your muscles are bored too- they’ve already adapted to the activity and are at ho hum status quo. Chances are you’ve hit a plateau and your progress has halted.
You have to change it up to get the results you want and to stay committed. The great thing about triathlon is cross training is built in (swim, bike, run), but even triathletes can get in a rut. The solution? Change it up. If you’re not feeling it, forcing yourself into a prescribed workout is not always the answer and can lead to burnout. Substituting a fun activity that you don’t do often is one way to combat exercise ennui.
This weekend, instead of another bike ride, I laced up my roller blades (remember those things?) and rolled out the door. It was quite refreshing and is a great, low impact leg workout that targets different muscles than biking or running.
10 Tips to change it up for better results
- Change your route regularly. If you run / bike on roads, hit the trails. At the beach? Run barefoot in the thick sand.
- Boost your intensity / speed. Add interval training, track workouts or hills.
- Increase your load in the gym. Add weight so that you can just barely do 3 sets of 8 until you’re able to do 3 sets of 12, then up it again. (And no, ladies, you won’t get too big – that takes a ton more work.)
- Alternate exercises. Doing the exact same routine every day may make it easy to go through the motions, but unfortunately that’s all your muscles will be doing too. And you’ll be sacrificing results and possibly inviting injury. Switch out bench presses for chest flys with dumbells, etc..
- Include strength & core training. It will enhance everything you do and help protect you from injury. Not to mention the vanity dividends.
- Get outside. A good dose of Vitamin D, fresh air and scenery will do wonders for your energy level and your spirit.
- Do yoga. Your body will thank you.
- Try something entirely different – SUP, surfing, skiing, snowboarding, wake boarding, rollerblading, soccer, softball, tennis, dancing, limitless options.
- Make exercise time your fun time. What physical activity makes you smile? Starts with S? I meant skipping rope, but yes, of course the other too!
- Cultivate a handful of activity partners so you always have a playmate for different activities.
What do you do to roll out if your exercise ruts?